Statistics

10.09.2012

Rainy Day Sandwich

Contrary to popular opinion it DOES rain in sunny Italy!! This is the view from my window.. I can hardly make out the mountains through the clouds!
Sometimes you just want a good sandwich.. and today is one of those days!
But.. I had no sandwich fixings in my fridge!! This is where living in the city is a real boon!
Fortunately - for me - there is a great Deli across the street so... I ran across the street in the middle of lunch time traffic and in the rain to Pasquale and Ida's Pizziccheria (the colloquial tuscanism for Deli which literally means - a place to pick, as in "I'll just pick"!)...

Fortunately - for me - there is a great Deli across the street so... I ran across the street in the middle of lunch time traffic and in the rain to Pasquale and Ida's Pizziccheria (the colloquial tuscanism for Deli which literally means - a place to pick, as in "I'll just pick"!)...

and this is what I came home with! 1 etto (that would be 100 grammi - that whole decimal think in the 60s and 70s paid off for me!) of delicious boiled ham, 4 slices of aged Fontina cheese, (yep, I can buy my lunch meats and cheeses by the slice if I want!), A piece of fragrant freshly baked focaccia, a tube of mayo (yep, they sell may in a toothpaste sized tube here - haha tricks you into thinking that you won't eat too much, I guess!) and a bag of the latest in San Carlo potato chips - lime and pink pepper (superb, I might add!).

I added some sliced tomato between the ham and the cheese, slathered on the mayo... like that old rye bread commercial... "it makes a nice sandwich"


Added some chips... and... Buon Appetito ,,,,



and here's to a sunny tommorrow in Lucca! The sun is already peeking out trhough the clouds and I can see my mountains behind the church cupola and steeples!!









No comments:

Post a Comment