Oh so simple pasta and broccoli (my way)
this is what we had for dinner at my house today!
- put your water on to boil in a 4 qt pot, minimum
- clean your broccoli and cut the flowerettes into bite size pieces leaving a bit of stem (I guess about 1 to 2 cups of flowerettes is good for one person)
don't throw out the stems, save the edible part for cream of broccoli soup
- measure out your pasta (short or long pasta works good for this recipe)
we weigh it here - about 80-100 grams per serving (this is not a side dish it is a main dish)
- when the water boils, salt the water (never salt the water before boiling) and throw in the broccoli; let it boil for about 5 min, at this point add your pasta to the pot
- while your pasta and broccoli are cooking, fix the seasoning for the pasta
- in a large aluminium or non-stick fry pan, heat up a couple of tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil per serving (more or less oil, to your taste) and sautee a couple of cloves of garlic in the oil; you can add a little bit of hot pepper if you like your foods spicey
you can also add some bacon or speck, however or if you want to do it Pugliese style add a couple of anchovies broken up into pieces after you turn the heat off
- when your pasta is al dente - drain your pasta and broccoli using a colander with small holes so you don't lose the broccoli bits, save a bit of the water in case you need it.
- add the pasta and broccoli to the fry pan with the oil, garlic and other ingredients that you have chosen to add and turn the heat to high as you toss the pasta and broccoli; the broccoli with break up and blend with the oil to coat the pasta; if it looks too dry, add a couple of tablespoons of the reserved cooking water.
- serve with grated pecorino or parmesan cheese
sorry - no pics today! I must remember to keep the camera in the kitchen!